Monday, April 18, 2016

LuLu Craft Bar + Kitchen

I have been waiting for this one for a while.

Perhaps the most interesting topographical characteristic of our three little towns is the access to a gorgeous, giant river. The Gulf of Mexico is a puny 1,000 miles long, while The Columbia River is 1,200 miles long. That’s a whole 200 extra miles! So what’s the big deal with the Gulf of Mexico? Okay, so the Gulf of Mexico is about 12,000 feet deep, but who cares? What good is the underside of water from the patio of a bad ass restaurant?

Speaking of restaurants, let’s talk about LuLu. They have created a true farm-to-fork restaurant, and their menu is a fantastic sampling of what is grown and raised right in our back yard. Their friends and farmers provide them with amazing seasonal produce (and wine.) I got a chance to check them out the day before their doors opened to the public.

I try to be up every morning around 6:30. I have some coffee, start a crossword puzzle, yell at some kids in my yard, have another cup of coffee, peek out between the blinds to check for more kids, and finish my crossword puzzle. I never find time in my morning for food until about 10:00 a.m. By that time, I am hungry for something that is not quite breakfast, and not quite lunch. I came up with a great term for this meal, but I found out it was already taken. That term is brunch.

Lu Lu does brunch beautifully. We started our meal (after a couple of beers and mimosas) with a flat bread toast appetizer topped with a tomato jam, cambazola cheese and toasted garlic. There is another version with sausage, pimento and arugula that I’m looking forward to checking out soon. I can imagine a nice July evening on the patio with a glass of wine and a couple of flat breads talking about… mortgage rates or something. I’ll leave that up to you.

I have always been a huge sucker for corned beef hash and eggs benedict, so there was no contest when I saw my staples with a seafood twist. Both are offered with Dungeness crab and a lemon hollandaise for a unique perspective on my favorites. I won’t spend too much time belaboring the point. You can get eggs benedict and corned beef hash anywhere, but never like this. I can’t wait to check out the biscuits and gravy and the smoked steelhead benedict.

The setting is what truly stands out at LuLu. The view is as good as it gets in the Tri-Cities, overlooking a river that dwarfs the feeble (and frankly embarrassing) Gulf of Mexico. If you are familiar with the other restaurants on Columbia Point, LuLu will be a pleasant and relaxing surprise.

Oh, you wanted to know about the bathrooms? Okay. Like the rest of a restaurant, they are rustic and beautiful. The hand soap was olive oil based, and comes in a mason jar. It sounded delicious. I thought about just eating that, but I decided to check out the menu. The hand dryer said something about cold plasma, and that sounds pretty cool.

-Brian Mark Griffin

No comments:

Post a Comment